Thursday, June 24, 2010

He's Not Serious... Is He?

I was reading my favourite blog Pugnacious Priest today and found myself reading about an article posted on Wow.com about how to make sure your vital raid members turned up to raid. I read Wow.com regularly because the writing on that site is usually of a very high quality and the subjects are often interesting and relevant. But I have to admit I was borderline shocked when I read this article, so I'm going to add my voice to Zahraah's in disbelief.

I think the article should have been titled 'How to Lay a Massive Guilt Trip on Your Raiders So They Turn Up Despite Whatever More Important Things May Be Happening in Their Real Lives'.

I quote: "If you find out someone is absolutely irreplaceable for a raid, talk to that member. Tell him, "We need you there, or the raid can't run. Are you comfortable accepting that responsibility?" "

This, in a nutshell, is how an unhealthy attitude to raiding is created. The raid leader/officers/GM puts so much pressure on the often young, impressionable raider that they don't feel they can say no. So they'll start choosing raiding over their real life friends and family to the point that they'll feel like they've let the team down if they have to go to their own graduation during raid time. This is when raiding becomes a chore. It ceases being an enjoyable pastime and becomes a JOB. I know, I've been in that situation.

And you know what, there are people out there who like treating raiding as a job. If you're one of those people, good for you. I guarantee you'll burn out sooner rather than later. No, I didn't believe that either until it happened to me.

You know what, this isn't the only thing that was SO WRONG with this Wow.com article. I'm going to have to come back to this later, I need a nice relaxing cup of coffee first.

No comments:

Post a Comment