Thursday, July 22, 2010

If I Was A Guild Master

I like politics IRL. I was stoked to hear Australia got our first female PM a couple of weeks ago, but a little dubious about how she got there. It looked like a nice little coup to be honest but of course Australia doesn't have those... I listened to every word of poor K-Rudd's goodbye speech and I've been glued to SBS News (the legitimate news channel, for non-Aussies) every night now an election has been called. According to polls Julia is the preferred PM by far (largely because no woman in her right mind would vote for the other guy... *shudder* sleazy much) but the two main parties are neck and neck. It's like a battle between the good guys and the bad guys, except the good guys aren't quite so good all the time and the bad guys aren't quite so bad - and that sentence could apply in so many different ways to different people. It's all so interesting!

I also really like Wow politics, particularly guild politics. There's a huge amount of politics and drama in Wow, and I love reading about it and commenting on it. There's behind the scenes Blizzard politics (hello, Real ID) and in-game drama over raid spots and loot. And there's bigger drama, like what to do if your guild is collapsing? Who is going to leave and who is going to stay? Who are the people putting the effort into rebuilding and who is being carried? Who should be booted? And so on.

That's what gave me the idea to start a sort of mini-series within my blog, based on what I would do if I was a guild master and I was the one dealing with these situations in order to keep my guild running smoothly.

If you read my first post you would know it's one of my ambitions to some day have my own guild. At the moment there are circumstances preventing me from doing this, both in-game and real-life, most notably the fact that we're in the middle of the pre-expansion blues. If I was to start a guild right now, chances are it would collapse in the guild-hopping flurry we'll get once Cata hits. So in the mean time, I'm going to put some of my ideas to paper (or to the computer screen, as it may be).

Disclaimer: This series is not going to take the form of an advice column. I've never lead a guild before; in fact, I've never lead anything beyond a 25 Naxx before. So rather than me giving advice, I'm going to just think out loud and rant and just generally shout my opinions to the world. I'm a blogger, it's what we do. ;) And I'll hope that among the (two, maybe three) people who read this blog there is an experienced GM or two who could give me some much needed guidance.

I'm not going to post my first entry in this little series now, but I have a couple up my sleeve that just need a little more thinking and research and they will be out shortly. :)

3 comments:

  1. GRRRRRRRRRRRRRR for some reason it's not letting me post as my livejournal ID =( this is the third time I am rewriting this comment and it's annoying.

    Did meditation help your mana problems?

    Also, being GM of a raid guild is like being hellbent on the destruction of your own sanity and the desecration of your own mental facilities.

    < Etai/Shiva

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha that's what my bf says. But I like challenges. ;)

    Yes, meditation helped a lot. I've incorporated it into my shadow spec too now, so fingers crossed it helps there as well. Was a great suggestion. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am convinced your blog doesn't like me. It keeps giving me all sorts of profile errors and losing the stuff I type =(

    ReplyDelete